by Benjamin Arthur Lupton (@balupton) on Tuesday, December 11, 2012
- Session type
- Technical level
We're coders, not hipsters. We're here to change the world, not be swept up by change.
Each day, a new library, tool, framework, blog post, whatever comes out. The amount we sometimes feel expected to learn can be overwhelming at times. How on earth can we ever earn the big bucks and be an expert at something, when the somethings keep changing!?!
In this talk, I'll break down why getting caught up in the latest trends may be detrimental to your health. How slowing down, with a big idea, and a lot of effort over time, will bring amazing things.
It'll cover questions like:
- What should I learn, am I learning the right stuff?
- Why are there soo many similar projects, can't there just be one?
- Why are more or less projects good or bad?
- Why do some projects get insanely popular and then phaze out, while others continue to gain popularity over time?
- Do I really need to learn the next great thing? What should I learn? Where should I even start?
Tissues, in case this breaks you out of the hipster mindset.