by Anirudh Sanjeev (@anirudhs) on Friday, December 20, 2013
View session in schedule
- Full talk
- Technical level
This talk will help you understand the different frameworks to run your HTML/JS/CSS app as a first-class desktop application.
RIA (Rich internet applications) traditionally run inside a browser environment. This provides various benefits like always-up-to-date code, a no-install experience among others.
But what if your application is more important and it needs a full-fledged desktop application for a high degree of access. The benefits of running your RIA on the desktop are:
- More access to resources like filesystem, sound, etc.
- Make it easy to run for users who don't update their browsers, and cannot grok the concept of a web application.
This talk won't be an evangelizing session about the benefits of moving your apps on a desktop, but real-world practical advice on what to do if you want to. The structure of the talk will be:
- I take a sample demo app which I'll port on every platform I'm testing.
- I present whatever pitfalls and difficulty I had with different systems.
- I summarize the amount of code/time it took to convert a web app into desktop app with each platform.
The platforms that I intend to cover are:
- Chrome Embedded Framework
- Chrome packaged apps
- Webkit GTK+
- Adobe AIR
- Tide SDK
- QT's QHtml5Application
I am the co-founder of RazorFlow. We build a HTML5 Dashboard Framework which lets you quickly develop cross-device dashboards.